Sunday, August 5, 2012

21 Gun Salute

I've been reading and commenting, but not posting for a bit, and not missing posting too much.  Maybe it's summer, maybe my words have dried up temporarily (the written ones only, because I've still been yakkative as always!).  But today is a biggie for me that I've shared on my blog since I started it in 2009, and I'm feeling just darned good enough about myself to tell my blog buds...

Today I am celebrating 21 years of  sobriety!  Feels great.  August 5, 1991 was a very dark day for me.  I'd hit yet another embarrassing bottom with alcohol and felt lower than a snake's belly.  How could I know when I stumbled in to an AA meeting I'd started attending a couple of months before and confessed that I'd "done it again" that it was the beginning of a new life for me?  I'd tried a thousand times on my own.  I'd tried a couple times in AA.  I seriously doubted that I even wanted to stop drinking, but I knew I wanted to stop hurting, and that I wanted my life to stop being a mess.  Could it really be the booze that was dragging me down?

To this day, I don't know why then, why me, why not me....but I do know that very slowly, VERY slowly, I began to get better.  I went back to a meeting the next day - which I hadn't done before.  Why?  Hell if I know.  I (and countless other recovering friends) feel immensely grateful, truly in awe of the gift of sobriety, and quite literally like I was chosen by God for this.  Didn't deserve it, didn't even want it.

But I sure want it now.

16 comments:

  1. Hugs to you and Congrstulations on turning your life around and keeping it turned around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Anniversary! That's an awesome thing to celebrate. I raise my coffee cup to you. So glad that you took that step! :) Karen P.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a person very close to me who has given up drugs and alcohol and is about to celebrate three years clean and sober. The change is wonderful not only for her but for her family.

    I'm so happy that you have such a long record of sobriety. I know the difference it can make in a life. You are to be commended! Happy anniversary. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday!!! Love seeing this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This made me smile. If you can do it, I can do it:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! You can do it, and you don't have to do it alone!

      Delete
  6. WOW that's awesome Leslie. I"m so incredibly proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing Leslie! That is a wonderful milestone.

      Delete
  8. That is a huge accomplishment Leslie! You should be so proud of yourself!!

    And by seeing 1991, I realize my daughter will be 21 on her next birthday - how the hell did that happen! Happy to say that neigher she or her boyfriend drink. My step-son on the other hand tweets that he's been to 10 different bars and done 10 different shots in each one. :(

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bravo to you Leslie, on your years of sobriety! What an accomplishment! Do what is working best for you in terms of blogging. It's your journey, and I'm glad to be on it with you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You've come a long way and through the help of God, true friends and family you will even accomplish more. This is an awesome achievement, considering the millions who are now stuck where you were 21 years ago . I am so happy for you Leslie. I believe that your story will continue to encourage people who are addicted to alcohol and drugs now. Please continue with the same spirit. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Leslie - loved your comment today that KERF + BERF = BARF! I laughed out loud at that one! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete