Sunday, June 16, 2013

Revisiting an old stomping ground

We got home late Saturday night after our trip to the DR.  It was a wonderful trip - plenty of rest, sleep, healthy eating, reading, swimming, shopping, wonderful conversation and general with our daughter and her sweetheart of a soon to be fiancé Cesar, and general hanging out.  We were tired and hungry after our long day of travel, and I will confess right here that at Atlanta airport last night (we had a relatively brief layover after all the rigamarole of Customs) Tom and I went to a McDonalds right next to our gate and ended up each getting a Big Mac meal for dinner!  I can honestly say I haven't eaten at a McDs in possibly 8 years or longer (and I hope that I don't again for that long), but it tasted great!   I know it was a calorie and carb orgy, but I enjoyed every bite and didn't feel one bit guilty.

This morning, I got on the scale to survey what "baggage" I brought home or left behind, and I'm tickled pink to report that my weight was 197!  That was a loss of 3.8lbs.  I was delighted, though not entirely surprised.  We ate wonderful food, much of which was fixed by our daughter and Cesar, but we really only had 2 meals most day, plus snacks here and there.  It was all healthy, freshly prepared either at home or at restaurants, and my blood sugar stayed steady and finally dipped to the high 80s for the last 3 days of our trip.  Plus, we walked miles most days and sweat buckets all days.

I think this is the first time I ever came home from vacation weighing less than when I left!  Today I've reflected a lot about this weight saga I've been writing for myself for so many years.  The loss this time around (22 pounds so far) has been slow, and I see that it's good for me that way.  Going more slowly and focusing on blood sugar rather that purely weight allows me to get comfortable at a lower weight, without somehow triggering old issues that invariably have sent me back up into the Everest region of poundage.  I don't have to see 200+ again, and I hope I don't.  All won't be lost, but I'd rather not have to go on that head trip ever again.  Time will tell, but for now I'm feeling good, and grateful!  And definitely lighter!!

13 comments:

  1. Look at you! Amazing news. What a fantastic post vacation report. Hope you have a great week. Getting back to routine is good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're in ONEDERLAND!!! Congratulations, Leslie - and to get there while on vacation is even more wonderful! I can see a huge change in how you're looking at food - yes, even the Big Mac - and am just thrilled for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woo Hoo! Now that was a vacation! You sound awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. glad you had a good time and returned safely. so nice you get to see your daughter so regularly (with the distance).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Your weight loss put you in a whole new category. You are truly doing it right, and you will reap the benefits. Nice to spend time with your daughter. There is truly nothing like spending time with our adult children.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous28 June, 2013

    Nice loss! I bet you`re happy.

    ReplyDelete

  7. Hi Leslie

    Time for a monthly update over here :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. If I have the date right, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job! Goes to show that it is possible to lose weight while on vacation. (Especially if you take active vacation.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Are you alive??? Been missing you.
    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  11. Returning from vacation weighing less than when you left is a real victory! Re your visit to Micky D's... I've been reading about what Ronald McDonald puts in their meat... if you knew, I know you'd NEVER go back!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey, Leslie. I just read your comment on Lyn's blog. It made me simultaneously smile and groan, nodding with recognition.

    I often wonder how many times I will have to decide I'm a foodaholic before I believe me...before I quit having that "one" brownie.

    But that's just me, trying not to be a pickle...

    ReplyDelete