Friday, December 2, 2011

Low carb = Low crabbiness

Best day of the week...FRIDAY

Best time of the best day...as I'm walking through the parking lot to my car to drive away from the grind.  Only about 2 hours away from the collision of these bests and I'm ready.  My job has gotten busier and busier, and I'm actually called to be a REAL NURSE more often than I used to be!  I guess that is equivalent to job security, so I'm not complaining - but weekends are simply divine.  So are week and a half breaks for holidays, which will be coming up soon, and helps remind me I'm not as real of a nurse as I used to be when I worked many holidays in hospitals.  I feel immensely fortunate to have a M-F work week, and the cushy hours of 8:30-3:30. 

Work isn't the only reason I've been out of pocket - actually I've been in pocket, but out of my blogging routine, as has been the case for quite awhile.  I'm not feeling the blog as much these days, but I am feeling - and reading - my favorite blogs, and commenting frequently.  I've been in a knitting frenzy - making socks for Christmas gifts, and a reading frenzy as well.  Where I used to blog as my main method for goofing off at work, I'm now doing either of the above, or playing Words With Friends with friends.  And my 2 daily crossword puzzles are as essential to my well being as my morning coffee.

Anyway - I'm doing well with low-carbing.  I've been taking a day off about every 6th day, but my overall yield is apparently okay as I'm down to 204.  Or it was, before I decided to take a day off yesterday and went rather overboard.  Hmmm, can you spell  d-e-e-p-e-n-d-e-d  it?  Today I'm back on trying to stay at 25 carbs for the day to set the ketosis back into play.

Low carb eating really suits me - everytime I really do it for awhile, I see that it is the best plan for me.  For one thing, I don't have to count calories, and unless I'm being ultra strict, like today, I don't even count carbs.  I know what I can and can't eat to keep my body in the fat-burning mode afforded by low carb eating.  Think liberal Atkins Induction or Phase 1 South Beach - I have monster salads with blue cheese, avocado, bacon bits, olives and the olive oil for dsg with a little of the green olive juice instead of vinegar (though I like vinegar but this is a bit more...er, salty), and by not eating junky carbs I don't retain water at all.  It's going well for now.  I make no promises of not indulging in some forbidden fruit (no pun intended as it won't be fruit!) at Christmas, but I truly don't feel deprived, or even hungry that often, on this plan.  Why oh why do I stray?  Oh yeah, I'm an addict.

I actually rejoined my cadillac gym, dubbed as such by me due to the ridiculous monthly fee, on a month to month basis rather than an annual contract.  It's actually more expensive that way, but if I start NOT using it, I don't have to wait until the contract expires.  I plan to use it through the winter, esp. when there is snow and/or ice on the ground, because this gal will not be taking chances walking on icy patches after a serious fall last year where I sustained a nasty head injury.  Thankfully it was mainly a huge hematoma (about the size of 1/2 an orange on the back of my head where I hit), but it scared the sh*t out of me.  So indoor walking and jogging for me this year.

I'm thrilled to pieces that all 3 of my kids will be home for the holidays.  We haven't been together for 2 years (besides briefly at a weekend wedding in Kentucky last June, but Jean was in the wedding so we really didn't get to just hang out in our little nuclear nest), so it should be great.  It'll also be busy and chaotic, as all 3 will likely have boy/girl friends coming for short stints, as well as just friends.  This weekend I'm going to get the decorations going.  I'm holding off on baking for obvious reasons - for at least another week.  It's hard to resist the plethora of homebaked stuff.  Especially cookies.  I'm a cookie freak - always have been.  Would take quality cookies over cake or pie anytime.

That's it for now.  I wanted to post, but there is a mondo salad staring at me, screaming to be eaten.  So off I go.  Have a great weekend.

10 comments:

  1. Great to read your blog again! And UBER CONGRATS on the loss! Are you still reading me? I confess I had a jealous moment when I read you've been commenting, but I haven't had a comment from you in a long while!! You were one of my first readers! So happy for you that you'll have your whole family home! :) They are lucky kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting... I'm not as low carb as that 25g a day - in fact I don't think I've ever gone that low, but I'm still lower carb and I haven't been counting anything either. It has been a nice change for me.

    So glad to hear your nest will be full up for the holidays!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm also doing low carb right now, and I have noticed some positive changes. I think that my body doesn't respond as well to carbs as I get older. Blood sugar problems have also become an issue. You sound great, and congrats on the loss!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny-I'm always crabbier when I am going low carb...I think that is all in my head though! COngrats on doing so well and not getting sucked into the yearly membership!!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's a season for everything and, perhaps, your season for blogging is coming to an end for now. When the fire's gone, it's gone. It may come around again.

    For now, it's okay to enjoy other things.

    Best wishes for this new turn of evetns. :) And Merry Christmas!

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad to read that you have found a food plan that works well for you. Some of us are just more sensitive to carbs than others.

    The less time I spend on the computer the better my mental state is! I think we need other things to do and use our brains in different ways other than just blogging.

    You seem to be finding a new balance to your life and that is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. did not know if you saw this one, and thought you would like it

    http://www.keepingthepoundsoff.com/2011/12/failed-diets-twelve-day-diet-plan.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Leslie! Woot for all the kiddos being home - that should be chaotic, but fun at the same time. :D

    You should make my taco salad with guacamole - that would be low carb for you and its so good! :D

    I won't start decorating until Tony goes to the hospital - he's not one to have the decorations up for a month like me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really enjoy cookies, too. Do low carb cookies throw you off stride? If not, they are really one of the EEEasiest things to bake low carb. Then.. you might already know that. :-)

    Anyway, I read something interesting a couple of days ago that I hadn't known: that when one goes off plan, it takes about a week to get back into ketosis. Maybe that's why it's so hard for you?? Just a thought.

    Sounds like your Christmas will be lovely with family visiting. Have a blessed Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I feel so much better low carbing too. Under 100g/day is my magic number!

    So glad you'll have your kids there! Enjoy the holidays :)

    ReplyDelete