Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thanksgiving meanderings

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! My husband and I are in Chicago with our 22 y/o son
Stephen, who happens to be the only one of our offspring who is currently residing in the United States. He had to work last night, and will also have to work at 6 a.m. on Black Friday morning, so it made sense that we travel to him on the holiday. We'll be having Thanksgiving dinner with a cousin of my husband's and his wife at their home in Oak Park, a close in suburb of Chicago. It should be nice, relaxing and quiet, all of which work well for me.

I haven't posted for a few days because we've been on the road driving to Chicago, plus my laptop has been totally messed up in the keyboarding realm. That obviously is not conducive to stream-of-conscious blogging. I spent an hour on the phone with Dell this morning getting it "fixed", and it still isn't quite right. I've only had this laptop 7 weeks and it's been one frustration after another. Makes me nervous and unhappy after such a large investment of time and money. There's clearly more phone negotiating underway.

This will be short, but I wanted to post something since it's been so long. My food has been pretty bad the last 2 days, because I fell into some old bad behavior of eating while on a long car trip. It's been totally out of boredom, and with awareness that I'm treating my body like a garbage pail. Lot's of junk at every gas and rest stop. I can feel the gradual building of a sugar fog, and even feel kind of doughy in the middle. I have no idea of my weight and can't imagine I've done too much damage in just 2 days, but I hate feeling out of control. It feels scary and familiar in a way that I want to stop as soon as possible. I have no idea what to expect of the Thanksgiving dinner we'll have today, though I'm sure it'll contain less calorie and fat laden content than what I usually prepare! I love cooking this traditional holiday meal, and have certain favorites my family consider command performances. It's probaby just as well that another cook will be at the helm today. I intend to enjoy today without guilt and try to start where I am tomorrow.

I mainly want to wish all my dear blog friends and wonderful holiday, including those of you who don't celebrate Thanksgiving! I feel incredibly blessed this year, even though it is the first one since we've had kids where the 5 of us aren't together. We're all healthy and in good places, and we will be together for Christmas in a few short weeks. Bless all of you abundantly! Sorry this isn't as brimming with gratitude as I genuinely feel. I know my underlying negativity today is a function of my out of control eating an I don't want that attitude any more than I want the physical effects of overeating. Back on track as soon as possible, even at dinner today, which is where we're going right now! Take care, eeybody!

10 comments:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving! Have a wonderful time while you are away!
    Bethany

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Leslie. Sorry to hear you've had a difficult start to the holiday. Hope the rest of it goes better. I have an award for you over on my blog.

    Best wishes,
    Bearfriend xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leslie, I hope you are having a great time. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. well, hope you pull out of your sugar fog...I nearly fell into the abyss this morning as well. I had a piece of banana bread...then about 12 potato chips..I thought..yes, it might be my splurge day, but I don't want it to be THAT SPLURGY....So, I ate half an apple, for some reason that made me feel better and then I went to the gym not long after...eat something healthy, that will break the cycle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Thanksgiving to you! I still find road trips a little difficult, although I have finally come up with a few strategies that work for me. Just keep on working on it. I think that eventually it gets easier, even if it never 'comes naturally.'

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you managed Thanksgiving dinner okay. That's always a tough meal to live through for someone who is trying to watch her weight. There is just way too much food. An awful over abundance of it. I know I couldn't face something like that without my gastric band. It would trigger my eating habit and would continue for days afterwards. I would keep stiffing my face. I wish you all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Make sure you pack healthy snacks for the carride back home! You can do this! Regain your focus and just move forward. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. PACK YOUR FOOD. And I am not talking about snacks - I am talking about MEALS. Whether it is 3 or 6 - plan your food and pack it. You can include a list of what goes with each meal.

    we ALL do this at my house now.

    My husband drove 12 hours (one way), stayed with his mom for 4 days (Thursday-Monday), and then drove 12 hours home. He packed a lot of food in a cooler. He ate out one time and ate her food for breakfast one time. The rest was out of his cooler.

    My youngest (the IBS kid) went to camp Monday-Wednesday last fall. She packed a cooler. She had about 3 bites of camp food - the rest of her food was out of the cooler.

    We back a wide variety. We pack in portions.

    This is our reality.

    And I think it is yours also.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Leslie, I think it is a wonderful idea that you are willing to donate to your local food drive and I am very happy that the giveaway inspired such a beautiful, selfless action! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope that you enjoyed your time with your son! You'll be home before you know it and back in the saddle again! Safe journey home my friend!

    ReplyDelete