Thursday, January 26, 2012

Several small steps for Leslie

Hi guys!  I want to tell you bright and early that I got through yesterday in abstinent fashion...3 meals and a metabolic snack after my meditation group.  After my SOS post, I hit the streets and hoofed about 2 brisk miles.  Not that far, but 25 minutes of movement and fresh air took the desire to eat away.  I waited until dinner and was actually empty-stomach hungry when I brought the first mouthful of tom kha soup to my mouth.  What an unusual occurrence - to feel real hunger when I eat.  And rarer still, doing something to begin to groove a new rut into my neurotransmitter mediated brain.  It will take a lot longer than one successful day, but I can't do it without one successful day.

I've followed my 3 meals and a metabolic since Monday - yesterday was the first day the food thoughts stampeded into my consciousness.  It's easy to get a clean day when the obsession DOESN'T hit; it's a different story when it does.  Thanks for all the encouragement and support.  Youse guys are awesome!!! (A little touch'o'philly for yer day:))

I haven't totally established my food plan, but for meal composition I'm using guidelines from back when I did the crazy rigid program as a starting point.  I'm giving myself much more leeway, such as being "allowed" to have brown rice, beans, a sweet potato (though I haven't yet) amongst other things. I'll fine tune it over time, but for now, just staying within the confines of the meals and metabolic each day is challenge enough.  I'm finally getting that this is a process and a journey - not a one and done.  HAH...  If only it was one and done!

One thing I've changed up this week - finally - is that I'm eating my breakfast by 7 a.m.  I'm an early riser and it's no problem for me to do this.  But over the last several months, I'd started waiting until I was at work, not starting to eat until 9 or later.  Then the mealtimes got mushy, not to mention the grazing and bingeing and so on.  So if I'm going to get serious about weight loss, I need to establish a fairly regular (though not rigid) schedule of mealtimes - so I'm actually hungry in the morning and not still sort of stuffed and icky from bingeing the night before.

I plan to write more about the broad composition of my meals (protein, veggies....) tomorrow.  For now, thanks again!  My job is calling....

11 comments:

  1. You're so right about eating breakfast on time. A late breakfast puts me at risk for snacks instead of breakfast, no breakfast and a very large lunch, or a lazy breakfast where I eat whatever is available. It sounds like you're getting on a good schedule and a good plan is shaping up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear. Must make you feel victorious and focused!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Leslie! I have really been struggling lately and I love hearing about your success.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woo hoo!!! And I've been on a sweet potato kick myself lately. I never even had one until a couple years ago. LOVE them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was just going to ask if you were trying to make it on 3 meals and going to suggest 4-5 might be what you need. I started (many years ago) with more (I think 5 or 6) smaller meals and now do 4. Breakfast is my largest always and I too eat it very early.

    ReplyDelete
  6. one other thing I just remembered helping (remember to eat only at meal time) HUGELY was to visualize that every time I put something in my mouth I started the insulin process.

    I didn't have to understand the process, I just visualized that I didn't want the insulin resistance thing going on 24/7.

    I only wanted to eat at meal time and to eat balanced (whole food carbs, lean protein, healthy fat within calories).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like you are doing great! Oh how I had wished it was a one and done. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  8. youre on fire and doing so great
    cant wait for today's post, too :)


    MizFit

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad I stopped by here today. Way to go Leslie. You're an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yep - to all that you said!

    ReplyDelete