Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Happy Insignificant Chocolate Based Hallmark Holiday

It just about killed me to not mention my food and such yesterday, but I really wanted to devote the entire post to our anniversary. 

First of all, I want to boldly and proudly tell you that at our romantic 30th anniversary dinner out Sunday night, I DID NOT HAVE ANY CREME BRULEE.  (I mentioned it here a couple posts back.)  Not even a quintillionth of a tsp!  What I did have were the 2 raspberries that came on top of Tom's creme brulee, and the 3 blueberries.  I let him have the strawberry as it looked like one of those crappy Driscoll's from California that are solid hard white in the middle with "O" taste.  Now that's love!  Not Cali. bashing here - I'm sure there are fantastic Cali. strawberries in Cali., but when they're transported across the country and bright red because they're sprayed with a gas that causes the bright color before the berries are even ripe, they are not worth getting unless someone pays you to take them - and then take the money and leave the berries behind!

Oops - a little tangent there.  I'm thinking of starting a weekly blog feature of my pet peeves, and that commentary on the berries would be a notable item for the list.

Anyway - as of this morning, I have 2 days sugar free and cleanly eaten.  May today be the 3rd.  I'm feeling pretty confident and positive about it right now.  There will be challenges, what with it being Hallmark Holiday #2 (2nd only to Mothers' Day), I know folks at work will be bringing little chocolate themed gifts in, and there will be candy involved in my sons' valentines.  Hubby and I have always thumbed our noses at this day given the big day that always precedes it, so he's just getting a hug and some good leftovers tonight from last night's meal.

Knowing I was meeting a friend for coffee after work yesterday and wouldn't get home until after 5,  a crockpot meal was in order, and I wanted it to be Paleo approved, so I made "Melt In Your Mouth Italian Sausages" from Tami at Nutmeg Notebook.  You can find the recipe here.  OMG - it was wonderful!  I'd made it once before but made some shortcuts in not simmering the sausage first as her recipe calls for.  This time I followed it to the tee, and they were perfect!  I used organic sweet turkey italian sausages.  I would have used half sweet and half hot, but they had no hot at the market.  Highly recommeded - it's a winner for sure.

During my weekend prep cooking, I made a recipe for Egg Cupcakes from Sarah Fragoso's Everyday Paleo cookbook top facilitate grab and go breakfasts.  They turned out great.  The recipe calls for 8 slices of bacon to be crumbled into the mix, but I left it out so my vegetarian son could have them.  They're great without the bacon, but would be MUCH better with it.  (Isn't everything?)  I can see these becoming a regular part of my cooking repertoire.



Without bacon, I used more zucchini and spinach, so mine are greener than those pictured in the book.  I will also tweak seasonings, use the bacon at times, and change up the veggies a bit.  Another winner.  I guess I could post the recipe if anyone is interested, as long as I cite Sarah's book?  Let me know.

That's it.  I hope everyone has a good Tuesday.   Tomorrow may be the debut of my Wednesday Whining feature!

7 comments:

  1. I'd love to see you do a whining feature!!

    I'll have to look up Sarah's recipe - they remind me of one I used to make out of the South Beach Diet Cookbook all the time. I'd forgotten about those and they're good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the post title:) Kudos on the creme brulee!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WTG for kicking some creme brulee butt! Happy non-holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Made egg cups the other day.... and we ate them for dinner lol. Didn't have any bacon at the time, but I've bought some. Making more is on the agenda today! Happy belated anniversary. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love for you to post that recipe, but can certainly look it up if you decide not to. Love finding anything that uses spinach, but kind of hides it amongst other flavors. Love it raw in salads, but cooked??? Not so much! Can't deny the benefits of eating lots of it however.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job passing on the sugary stuff Leslie!

    Thanks for the shout out and the link. You know that Melt In Your Mouth Sausage recipe is one of the most popular recipes on my blog. I get a lot of private emails thanking me for that one! It's also one of my son's favorites.

    Please post the recipe - it looks like something I would be able to have on the 17 Day Diet food plan.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your post title reminded me of something I saw on Facebook this morning - "Happy Single Awareness Day" - LOL to both!

    NICE JOB on not having the creme brulee!!! Your berry rant cracked me up - I buy strawberries by smell because they always look good, and that's what will fool me.

    I love the idea of a Wednesday Whine!

    ReplyDelete