Wednesday, February 1, 2012

I want what she's having...

That's how I felt after reading dear Helen's post from yesterday...her Tuesday 10 that I read Wednesday because I was tied up with a funeral and other things Tuesday.  Seems like most of the blog community has already read it, but in case you haven't, you can find it here.

First of all, congratulations to Helen for such wonderful success with her recent weight loss, which she's written about in detail on her blog, including the food plan and related challenge that she followed.  The first and most obvious reward is the 20 pounds that are no longer clinging to her in all the wrong places!  But beyond that...to read about the physical and biochemical changes that were revealed at Helen's recent doctor appointment is beyond fantastic.  Several persistent bothersome/worrisome issues have apparently been eliminated by Helen's hard work and consistency (without rigidity!!!).  Makes me think of the saying of how if you do the right thing for 80% of the time, you'll probably be successful.  She did the right things much more than 80%, but still allowed space for certain occasions.  Sounds so reasonable, sane and intuitive.

So yeah, hell, I want what she's having.  Improved health, gleeful anticipation of upcoming shopping trips and vacations, smaller clothes sizes and so on.  I really want all of that.  Can I have it?

Yep - if I'm willing to do what she did and feel what she felt (like missing certain foods she ate prior to the challenge but NOT giving in to their siren calls).  Do I want her rewards that much?  If I do, I know I can have them - maybe in a longer time than it took her as I'm starting out at a higher weight - but definitely I can achieve it.

The bigger question is WILL I?  Am I willing?  Can I exert my will in the determined manner Helen did?  It feels very clear to me that I can if I'm willing.  And besides wanting to lose weight, I have several similar pesky health issues that I'd love to turn around!

I've had 2 good days this week and am working on #3.  It's about 65 degrees out today, so a walk is also on the docket as soon as I get home from work.  And I think I'm going to read about the Paleo plan that Helen's been using, to see what it's all about.  I have an idea, but you can't argue with results, so I'm opening my mind to maybe changing up my simple low carbing.

11 comments:

  1. Leslie, thank you so much for all your kind words. One thing you know, because you were one of my first blog readers is that it has taken me a gazillion variations to finally settle in to a combination of exercise, food plan, and meds that are working! I've been at this much longer than I wanted to be.

    You can do it - and have it all my friend. Just don't quit. Keep on tweaking and doing whatever it takes and it will be right there for you too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you can totally do it..I have no doubt. I haven't researched the Paleo thing. I'm eating a lot fewer carbs than I was, just due to the diabetes..and counting calories for weight loss. No rocket science over my way, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that "I'll have what she's having" actually kept me going as I was losing weight...I'd read about a blogger's success and think "I want that for myself" and be inspired to keep working at it. Helen has been a wonderful inspiration to me with everything that she'd done to turn around her potential health problems, and her dedication to exercise continually amazes me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can so have it!! Go for it. You can do it!!

    Stay focused!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I felt the same way after reading her post! If she can do it so can we!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've come to the conclusion that it really isn't easier for any of us. If we put in the very same effort, we can get similar results.<<So there's realistic hope for us.

    :-) Marion

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE WHAT MARION SAYS.
    Ive found that in all realms.

    xo

    Miz

    ReplyDelete
  8. I did go read her link - was curious how many pounds (over all) over what time period?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Helen said it very well... "it has taken me a gazillion variations to finally settle in to a combination of exercise, food plan, and meds that are working." That could be me who said that, and I have also been doing this for longer than I had planned. Recently, however, I have hit on some combinations that seem to be working for me. This is a process, and you will get there. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I tagged you in my post today. :)

    ReplyDelete