Thursday, February 16, 2012

Loose ends

A couple of folks asked for the recipe of the 'egg cupcakes' I posted on Tuesday, so here it is:
(From Sarah Fragoso's Everyday Paleo Cookbook on page 185)

Egg Cupcakes * Prep time 15 mins * Cook time 20-25 mins * Serves 6-8

10-12 egges
1 green onion
2 zucchini squash
8 slices bacon
1 cup roasted red and yellow peppers
4 C fresh spinach
Black pepper to taste

1. Preheat oven to 350 and grease 2 muffin tins with coconut oil
2. Whisk all of the eggs and pepper in a big bowl (I also added salt - don't shoot me)
3. Put the green onion, zucchini, bacon and peppers in a food processer and process to finely chopped but not smooth.  Add this mix to the eggs.
4. Place spinach in food processor and finely chop.  Add to egg mixture.
5. Mix egg mixture well, and then using a measuring cup, fill muffin pans with 1/4 each (I used a 1/3 cup measure and still got 20 cupcakes.)
6. Bake for 20-25 minutes until eggs are set in the middle.

Now I didn't have roasted peppers on hand and wasn't about to roast them for this, so I sprayed a fan with olive oil spray and softened just red peppers (no yellow in the house) and the green onion for about 3-4 mins.  I also used about 8 green onions because I like them, and given that I didn't use the bacon, they needed the kick of onion (or whatever savory herb or flavor you like).  I didn't use bacon so the vegetarian male offspring could enjoy these (he did).

These were wonderful to have on hand and I used them through yesterday.  The boys and hubby ate 3 each on Sunday when I made them, which compromised my stash from lasting the week.  Sarah suggests doubling the recipe and freezing some.  I might do that except I don't happen to have 4 muffin tins on hand!
If you try these and make any modifications or changes, let me know what you think.  Next go around I will use the bacon - I bet it would be a great addition.

**************************************************************
I wish I could say I've been on plan, but Tuesday night, the chocolate-themed insignificant holiday treats got to me and I ate some.  A friend gave me a bag(!) of Hershey kisses and as they say about Lay's potato chips, you can't eat just one.  Nuff said.

Back on track now, but I really want to get to a place where I just don't go there for a sustained period of time.  Upcoming Easter brings the behemoth of plain old blue collar Brach's jelly beans, which may be my all time favorite candy (other than all my other all time favorites...) - my goal is to not eat one.  That will entail not buying any.  I'm going to avert my eyes whenever I'm in a store where they are lying in wait. If I don't buy 'em, I won't eat 'em.  'Tis a doable and realistic goal.

I was busy enough yesterday at work to not be able to start my Wednesday Whine List, but look for it next week.  I'm already compiling a plethora of pet peeves!  But I'll be posting in the meantime - accountability, you know.

9 comments:

  1. I agree that you need to have a sustained period where you don't indulge. Somehow you've got to tell yourself it's not forever and that one day you can have a treat again. I am sure that it was this attitude that carried me through the six weeks of the Zero Excuses Challenge. I was surprised as anyone that the challenge seemed to be what lit a fire under my butt. (Well, that the the serendipity of the medical stuff.) Perhaps you need to pick a smaller timeframe: absolutely, positively stay on Paleo and no treats at all for 3 weeks for example. Tell your husband, tell your co-workers, and tell any friends who might derail you. I bet you'd be surprised at the amount of support you would get!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jelly beans for you are like candy corn for me. Maybe, just maybe, by the time Halloween rolls around I'll be in a place where either it won't tempt me or I can handle a reasonable amount, instead of a whole bag!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One thing I learned was to put my hands behind my back. Just because someone hands you something, you do not have to take it. Especially if you know that if you take it, you will eat it. You don't HAVE to say anything other than 'no thank you'. You can say - I am diabetic, or that is poison to me, or something else if you like, but you do not have to. I have learned to put my hands behind my back lots of times - walking through commercial building at county fair or walking down city streets with people handing out sale fliers. Perfume samplers at mall (I have asthma). Food pushers at social events.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's jordan almonds for me. My favorite holiday candy. Guess it doesn't hurt, though, that the last time I indulged, I broke a tooth and had to get a crown. Expensive lesson. Thanks for the recipe. It looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't made those eggie thingies in a while....looks delish! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My WW leader always says "one is too many, 20 is never enough" and to just try to avoid our trigger foods - easier said than done!

    But this did crack me up: "(other than all my other all time favorites...)"

    Hope you have a wonderful weekend Leslie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not only do I not buy those trigger items, I don't go down the aisle where they are, just in case they want to jump from the shelf to my cart. OK, and also so I don't have to look at them.

    Hope you have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing the recipe Leslie! I will have to sub something for the bacon since that isn't on my food plan right now, my home made turkey sausage might do the trick as well as using half egg whites and half eggs. M-m-m!

    Sorry the little chocolates got the best of you. Sugar is so addictive for me. I have to say that once I got past day 3 of the 17 Day Diet I have had no carb cravings - none - it's amazing. I don't think about the carbs, even if my family is having them my brain isn't reacting. I do know that if I have a taste of them the party will be over for me.

    I like Helen's suggestion to make a short 3 week plan to stay on your food plan so you can clean the carbs out of your system and get focused in the right direction. Starting and stopping so many times starts to wear us down - been there and done that more than I care to remember.

    ReplyDelete