Friday, July 23, 2010

Yesterday - Today - Tomorrow

Inspired by Deb yesterday posting a quote by Emerson that she read on Katie J's blog a few weeks back, I'm going to post something that is written on a green card put out by the S.E. Pennsylvania Intergroup Association of AA.  It's a card that has several different nuggets of spirutual sustenance that can help AA members stay sober a day at a time.  But the wisdom goes far beyond the scope of not picking up a drink, as you'll see.

Yesterday - Today - Tomorrow

   There are two days in every week about which we should not worry; two days which should be kept free from fear and apprehension.
   One of these days is YESTERDAY with its mistakes and cares, its faults and blunders, its aches and pains.  YESTERDAY has passed forever beyond our control.
   All the money in the world cannot bring back YESTERDAY.  We cannot undo a single act we performed; we cannot erase a single word we said...YESTERDAY is gone.

   The other day we should not worry about is TOMORROW with its possible adversaries, its burdens, its large promise and poor performance.. TOMORROW is also beyond our immediate control.
   TOMORROW'S sun will rise, either in splendor or behind a mask of clouds-but it will rise.  Until it does, we have no stake in TOMORROW for it is as yet unborn.

   This leaves only one day...TODAY.  Anyone can fight the battle of just one day.  It is only when you and I add the burdens of these two awful eternities...YESTERDAY and TOMORROW that we break down.
   It is not the experience of TODAY that drives men mad-it is remorse or bitterness for something which happened YESTERDAY and the dread of what TOMORROW may bring.

Let us, therefore, live but one day at a time.  

Being the endless control freak and wanting to be sure you "get" this, I have to add that this isn't about kicking back and only literally considering the day we're in.  Of course we make plans, have intentions, work toward goals, etc.  But the actual living can only take place today.  If I cloud my consciousness with remorse over a piece of cake I ate yesterday or the piece I will be presented with tomorrow, it affects how I am today.  It takes up space in my head and my heart that effectively blunts the real life goings on of THIS day.  This isn't only about not drinking!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'm trying to get my food back in place.  Yesterday was better and I got in the the first 2 mile walk of the week because the humidity was lower thereby decreasing the sizzle factor of outdoor activity.  I haven't yet talked about this on my blog, but this week I've gone into my gym to see about terminating my membership due to our financial situation.  I belong to a cadillac gym that runs $80.00/month.  There are plenty of places I could go for substantially less money, and things being as they are in Hubster's and my collective pocketbook it seems a prudent measure.  I do love this gym and the substantial amenities offered for the Gold Card price, so I'm mixed about this.  My contract goes through February 2011, so if  "Sean", the membership czar who was supposed to get back to me 3 days ago and still hasn't, issues an edict denying my request, I'll not take it to the papers or hire a lawyer!  I'll just have sanctioned use for 6 more months.  But the $480 bucks would sure come in handy elsewhere.

That's it for today.  Tomorrow's temp is going to be 99, with humidity that will render the heat index at 110.  Not as bad as the dry west, but I'm thinking it will definitely be an indoor treadmill and pool day.  Stay cool.

13 comments:

  1. Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present. I love that quote.

    Thanks for the remind

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I think about all the 'tempest in a teapots' that I've generated over the years, worrying about and trying to fix yesterday, it's such a lost cause. And worrying about tomorrow? Well, you are talking to a woman, who as a child, would spend hours worrying and planning about: what if my Mother died? What if an earthquake knocked out the damn? What if a flood came? How would I escape? How would I live? What would I eat? All of which did me absolutely no good. But in my need to control the future, I thoroughly ruined my present. Great post, I still need to be reminded of all these things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the 'be in the moment' quote - really good. It is not only AA like. It is yoga like.

    and if you get stuck keeping your membership - make use of the $$$! Get quality out of that gym time. Make it worth every penny.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree - that is so applicable to so much in life, and especially my current whole journey thing that I have going on. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like this, it makes an excellent point. Many of us spend far too much time worrying about the future and living in the past. I know I'm very guilty of doing this. I try to make an effort to take action, rather than worrying. Now, if only I could make my teenage son understand this now, rather than later.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Happy Birthday Leslie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous23 July, 2010

    Hmph. Well. Now there's no sense me writing that post I've had cooking in my head for two weeks. AA has obviously already written it!

    LOL!

    I'm just going to do an intro and send them to this post. I am! Loved this.

    Working on living THIS moment.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous23 July, 2010

    Love that!!! Thanks for sharing it...

    I flip through the pages of the past way too regularly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I really liked this. And I am one of the argumentative ones that appreciates that you explained: "But the actual living can only take place today."

    Because my detail oriented brain always used to say "yes, but"... and think of all the hard work and planning it takes to accomplish a goal! So thanks for a simple answer to that. :-)

    Loretta
    =^..^=

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you. I really like that quote. It's a good reminder. Hope the membership-czar at your gym lets you go free.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is all so true, and we can't be reminded of it enough. Have a happy birthday weekend! May the Czar of Birthdays smile upon you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. enjoy the pool for a cool down! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is so important to keep this in mind. I spend far too much time worrying about tomorrow. Very little, if any, on yesterday, but way too much on tomorrow.

    Good luck on the gym.

    ReplyDelete